Trafford Council have organised two consultation events concerning the George H Carnall Sports Centre.
The events will update the community on the current position with Manchester Giants and ask for views on what residents would like to see included within and surrounding the site.
Manchester Giants is moving forward with our plans to manage, develop and invest in the site once Trafford Leisure vacate the site.
The site will be managed by Manchester Community Giants, our not for profit outreach arm and will plan to develop a wide range of activities for all sections of the community.
We would encourage all Manchester Giants supporters to have your say and attend a public consultation drop-in events:
- May 21 2019, 4pm-7pm at George H Carnall.
- May 30 2019, 2pm-5pm at Urmston Library.
If you are not able to attend either event, you can email your comments to GHCConsultation19@trafford.
Manchester Giants at George H Carnall – key information and commitments
- The sports centre will be operated by Manchester Community Giants, a not for profit organisation.
- Manchester Giants staff have many years’ experience of working in local communities and developing fantastic community facilities, in partnership with the local community.
- We will commit to secure the long-term future of the sports centre, Manchester Giants will not close the sports centre and none of its existing facilities will be closed. It’s the complete opposite, we want to invest and grow the sports centre.
- We will commit to invest and develop the run down facilities to bring them up to a modern standard, a fit for purpose facility.
- We will commit to create employment for the local community including apprenticeships e.g. leisure assistants, reception staff, catering, marketing etc.
- We will commit to retain and develop the onsite cafe.
- We will commit to retain and support the sustainability and growth of any groups who have been at the facility for a long term i.e. no existing group will be asked to leave when we take over.
- We will commit to offer free community use of the meeting room facilities for local community groups.
- We will commit to honour & retain any local, regional or national sporting event that traditionally uses the facility. We also want to expand and develop these events in the future.
- We will commit to create a diverse range of new activities for the local community e.g. sewing & knitting groups, art therapy, advice drop in sessions, craft activities etc.
- We will commit to develop new community sports clubs eg: Squash club, Table Tennis club, Boxing club. This will include targeted sessions for children & young people, women & girls sessions, older people sessions, return to sport sessions etc.